Checklist IF YOU ARE THE BUYER of the house about to go to
- Call the settlement company to
identify yourself to the contact person and to give him/her
your contact information
(work and home tel. numbers,
cell phone numbers, e mail addresses).
- Switch all applicable utility accounts to your name, effective
the date of settlement.
FREDERICK COUNTY UTILITY NUMBERS:
- Alleghany Power: 1-800-255-3443
- Washington Gas (Frederick
- Verizon Telephone: 301-954-6230
- Frederick City
Water & Sewer: 301-694-1421
* If the house that you are buying is in the county,
billing for water and sewer automatically changes names
when the county receives the deed from the
settlement attorney's office.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY UTILITY NUMBERS:
- Pepco Electric: 202-833-7500
- Washington Natural Gas: 1-800-752-7520 or 703-750-1000
- Verizon Telephone: 301-954-6260
- Call your insurance agent and buy home insurance (also known as "hazard insurance") effective the date of settlement (NOTE: this is replacement insurance for the structural components of the house that you are buying. It does NOT cover the future contents of the house - that requires a separate insurance rider).
WASHINGTON COUNTY UTILITY NUMBERS:
- Alleghany Power: 301-790-3400
- AC&T Company (Gas): 301-797-7923
- Verizon Telephone : 301-954-6260
- The home should
be vacant and ready for a pre-settlement walk through
inspection approx. 1 hour prior to settlement.
and any other buyers of the house are required to bring
a photo ID with you to settlement (valid drivers
license, passport etc).
- If you or any other buyer of the
property will not be able to attend closing, please call
the attorneys office
and ask them to make arrangements for a "Power of
Attorney", whereby which someone else can sign for
the person who won't be able to attend.
- Approx. 3-4 hours
before settlement (NOT EARLIER), call the settlement lawyers
office and request them to give
you a final tally of funds that you'll need to bring to
settlement. Round up to the nearest $100 and bring
that amount as a CERTIFIED CHECK made payable to the settlement
attorney's office. Ask the attorneys office whom the
check is to be made payable to. Don't forget to bring
your checkbook with you to settlement. If your certified
funds are more than adequate, you will receive a refund
at closing. If your certified funds are short by a
small amount, you can write a personal check to make up
IF YOU LIKE
TO READ EVERYTHING WORD FOR WORD, LET THE SETTLEMENT OFFICE KNOW. THEY'LL
NEED TO SCHEDULE EXTRA TIME FOR YOU - OR - REQUEST YOU TO
IN EARLY TO REVIEW
Printable Version - click here for printable version of